Useful and smart tips from the world of energy

A few reminders about carbon monoxide detector use: why and how?
Home, Safety


Using natural gas in your home requires responsible behaviour and compliance with safety rules, as a faulty gas appliance can cause carbon monoxide leakage. Because carbon monoxide (CO) is an odourless and colourless gas, people cannot detect it. Inhalation, however, will cause serious health damage and may be fatal at high concentrations.

Therefore, we would like to remind you that it is mandatory to install a carbon monoxide detector in dwellings with a gas installation connected to a chimney – in particular, gas-fired water heaters or boilers.

Reminders about carbon monoxide detector use:

  • One carbon monoxide detector is meant for a single room, as the device only shows the level of carbon monoxide near the detector.
  • A carbon monoxide detector is not a substitute for a smoke detector and vice versa.
  • Unlike a smoke detector, a carbon monoxide detector must be mounted on the wall of the room at breathing level, i.e. about 1.5 meters above the floor or at sofa level in the living room and at pillow level in the bedroom.
  • The unit must be installed at least a few meters away from the gas boiler. Also, the detector should not be located close to ventilation systems.
  • When selecting detectors, make sure to select moisture-resistant detectors for gas appliances in humid rooms.
  • Like smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors must be regularly tested and gently cleaned from time to time from dust and dirt.